Thursday, January 22, 2009

Close Encounter of an Olympic Kind


So, while I was out and about in the Iraqi countryside, you know, checking on the state of the troops in far away places called Summers and Zulu (not as fun as it sounds), I came across 4 Olympic gold medalists doing a USO tour. Two I immediately recognized, diver Laura Wilkinson and gymnast Shannon Miller - you know, one of the Fab 7? I knew Joey Cheeks by name and then there was some runner dude.

Anyway, like a giddy schoolboy, I introduced myself as a big fan of the two that I knew and got to ask all sorts of geeky questions (like how scary is it to leap head-first from a 10-meter board). Apparently, it's not scary at all. Riiiiight. But, one question that I didn't ask was, can I take a picture with you. That just seemed way too uncool. I regretted that decision, however, as we left the FOB. They were on the same travel as us, just in a different blackhawk. SO, to make up for my shyness before, I took a picture of their helicopter as it flew next to mine. If you look closely enough, maybe, just maybe you can see their golden auras.

That is, only if I can figure out how to upload pictures...

1 comment:

  1. That is so way cool Jeff! Love the pic. I think when I did look really close, I saw something, but I don't have my glasses on. :)

    ReplyDelete